Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Detroit Hi-Lites

Ambassador Bridge
Detroit to Canada

To my own surprise, I actually am enjoying Detroit and its surrounding cities and townships (that's what they call them here, apparently.)
My favorite part(s) of driving around today:
  1. "Bridge to Canada" sign on I-94 east. Cussed when I realized I could've gotten a stamp on my passport if I had just thought to bring it with. Will definitely pack it on the next trip.
  2. Absence of chain restaurants. Even though it stresses me out to the nth degree, asking for restaurant reccomendations around town and getting answers like "Trattoria" and "Tommy's" make me a very happy traveler. Best way to get a cultural snapshot.
  3. Birmingham, Michigan. Even though the weather sucked (15 minute hailstorm while the parking meter was running) and I was so not sartorially prepared...(the usual conundrum I find myself in...living in Atlanta does not prepare one for a spring day in Michigan)...Birmingham, Michigan had street upon street of sidewalk cafes, artsy shops, chainlet specialty retailers (Anthro, Urban)...remind me of Lincoln Park(Chi) , SoHo (NY) and Sixth  Street (Austin). Went to what I thought was going to a $6/pop cupcake shop and got the most delicious German Chocolate cupcake for $2!! (Tuesday special..yes!)
    Downtown Birmingham, MI
    peanut butter cupcake from Cupcake Station
  4. Twelve Oaks Mall. Top 10. And that's quite a complement, from me. Doesn't hurt that its less than 2 minutes from my comfy hotel room.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home